12/2/09

My Benin friends..

Last Friday was a very sad day.  We had to say goodbye to the translators and day workers that have been serving with Mercy Ships for the past 10 months of this Benin outreach. Even though I have only been here for 3 months, the friendships that I have made are truly God given. Working with the translators on the ward as been such a blessing and playing soccer with the soccer team has been SOOO much fun. The many conversations that we've shared that have been both lighthearted and  deep; fun activities included going to a beach to teach William and Diodenne how to swim (point of advice: always bring a boogie board just in case), taking Mary to a day at the pool and realizing that she is a fish, walking around town with many of these friends, visiting other villages, invitations to visit families, and becoming a part of each others lives. These friendships were truly God given.
 

As we were saying goodbye, I realized that this was going to be the first of many goodbyes I would be making as I serve with Mercy Ships moving from country to country. But then as I looked around the packed room I realized how many relationships have been built not just in my life me but for the 1000+ crew members that have come and gone through Mercy Ships.
Romans 15:5-6
May the God who gives us endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus so that with one heart and one mind you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

My family has grown and I know one day we will all be worshipping together again.  
God I pray that you will pour blessings upon all of my Benin friends and upon my entire football team.  I pray that you will guide them and use them in ways they never thought possible.  Also as this outreach comes to a close I pray that you will continue to shine your light through all the patients and families that have been touched by us being here in Benin.  Thank you Jesus for all you have done for each and everyone of us! 
Amen or in Fon- Ame


2 comments:

Lynette said...

The pictures and words that you have shared here will bring wonderful memories to you for decades to come. Keep up the writing and all the wonderful work you are doing. Can't wait to hear about your next adventure - the people, the land, the stories... they are priceless and touch my life daily. May God travel with you. Love and hugs, Lynette

kate said...

I could cry reading about all of these goodbyes. I get so attached, that I couldn't hack that part of what you are doing. I'm glad you can put it all into perspective, and look forward to being together again, one day.

Merry Christmas Becca and friends!
Kate