9/17/09

on a lighter note...

Soccer!! Okay so you all know how much I love soccer.  I know I know its been a few years since I have really played but soccer will always hold a special place in my heart.  Anyway over the past 2 months of training and now in Africa I have had multiple soccer situations.  Now mind you i am not in soccer shape AT ALL but it was nice to play around.  Anyway so this past week I was able to play 2 days.  The team is made up of mainly Mercy Ships crew members and then day workers and translators who work on the ship.  There are definitely some differences in playing soccer here vs at home.  The main difference is that we play on a big sand field (pretty much looks like a beach) which makes it quite difficult to sprint, turn, or pretty much do anything, but it is very entertaining to watch us westerners.  Keeps us humble!

Zimmi- chicken races: Soo they have these moto bikes called Zimmi-johns that are very dangerous and are not covered under my insurance so no mom i wont ride on one even though i really wa
nt to.  ANYWAY so the other day a friend and I decided to run home after playing a game.  Well for all of you who know the game of chicken i basically played this scary little game about 20 times on my run back.  eekk! But no wounds were obtained! Hoorayy! Anyway here are some pictures of the many things that people travel with on these little bikes.  The most people i saw on one bike was 5.  Talk about car pooling!

Hevie Opening Ceremony:  The other day i had the pleasure of going to the opening ceremony for the Hevie Agriculture Dormitory.  Once we got to the ceremony we were greeted by all the villagers in the community plus all of the trainees and trainers involved with the Agriculture center.  The purpose of this dormitory and agriculture program is to teach and instruct the selected pupils in how to care for and work with the land.  All of the trainees in the program will be living in this dormitory which makes the program much more effective and a lot more efficient.  Intermittently throughout the 5 hour program we had African singing and dancing going on which totally made me want to get up and dance but i decided to restrain myself.. maybe next time. hehe

80s party: This to me was such a huge comfort to me.  I know you may be thinking how is an 80s party a comfort WELLL theme parties has always been a favorite past time for me and my best friends.  All my Ellison 18 girls, Julie, 7th floor angels.  I have definitely been missing my close friends a lot recently and this was just what the doctor ordered.  Miss you girls and don't worry I represented! woo woo!

Mom this last one is for you: This one is short but sweet. While out in town it is strongly recommended that we wear dresses/skirts and nice shirts, so I always do (after the "knees" incident i am following the rules to a T).  As i was about to get back into our Land Rover one of the women day workers came over to me and asked " Ohhh are you pregnant?!" with a big excited grin on her face.  I, as nicely as possible, quickly replied "No, that's just my belly."  So mom after 26 years of telling me to suck in my stomach when i am standing I now see why.  

2 comments:

Mom Taylor said...

Hey, thank that lady for me when you see her again!

Jessica Desrosiers said...

Haha - Becca you never stop cracking me up :-) Love that your having such a good time over there! Miss you terribly...